Blockchain technology is here to redefine the financial world as you know it. Old processes, paper filings, and non-stop to and fro are replaced by newfound innovation, cooperation, and speed. With the use of blockchain technology, fraud and crime in the financial world can be put to rest by a mindblowing concept – the collective trust in a highly secure, shared view of the truth. In this blog, you will learn how blockchain technology in finance is the smart thing to do in today’s world.
Blockchain is a distributed ledger technology that is decentralized, transparent, secure, immutable, and uses consensus mechanisms. As the name suggests, they are essentially chains of blocks, each containing a list of transactions linked together in a chronological order forming a continuous and tamper-resistant chain. Even though blockchain can be commonly correlated to cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin or altcoins, it has a wide range of applications beyond digital currencies, and blockchain in finance is one.
Blockchain technology in finance
Blockchain is considered an important financial tool that is expected to serve a crucial role in the sustainable development of the global economy. It essentially records transactions and can potentially be applied to most parts of the finance world such as payments and cross-border transactions, smart contracts, digital identity, trade finance, securities settlement, tokenization of assets, regulatory compliance, supply chain finance, CBDSc or Central Bank Digital Currencies, asset management, and credit scoring and lending.
It is a fact that blockchain technology holds immense potential in the financial sector, however, it is also true that blockchain also presents its challenges. In this blog, we will see how blockchain technology influences the financial sector with its various benefits and discuss the various challenges it poses.
Benefits of blockchain in finance
- Blockchain technology is decentralized, which means that any number of owners have access to the data making its replica easily available. This transparency offers a complete audit trail that is accessible to all participants. There are also cryptographic integrity checks to verify this trail and it creates a trustless environment for decentralized hubs.
- Blockchain being replicable can continue to function as it also offers the feature of being partition-resistant. Data from one node is not lost if it fails or disconnects from the other nodes. This quality enables high-value transactions to run easily in blockchains even when other entities are unable to function.
- Blockchain also has Byzantine fault tolerance. Through this feature, blockchain can deal with nodes that malfunction or function maliciously – which happens in hacking and cyber-attacks. The strongest defense that blockchain offers here will be against terrorist groups and nation-state adversaries more than criminals who might be content to steal money.
- Blockchain puts forth the amenity of smart contracts which are digital contracts that are embedded in computer code to activate when all conditions are met. When contracts are automated via blockchain, they ensure enforcement upon prior negotiations, reduce transaction costs and hold economically viable small-value transactions.
Challenges of blockchain technology in finance
- It is a fact that cryptocurrencies exist only in blockchain and do not have any legal body of authority governing them. By far, jurisdictions are open to grasping and accepting blockchain transactions and currencies as real-world transactions by ‘code of law’.
- Regulatory compliance in blockchain technology is a much-needed entity. However, the regulatory stance on blockchain is often blurred, and obtaining the clearance of regulators is not always easy.
- Blockchain applications in finance always work with commercial viability. This is mainly when venture capitalists fund potential disruptors in the hopes of great rewards, or when people launch pilot projects themselves for protection from disruption.
Blockchain use cases in finance
Even though the adoption of blockchain in finance is an ongoing process, and regulatory challenges and scalability issues still need to be considered for widespread implementation, these use cases demonstrate the potential of blockchain technology to help evolve various aspects of the finance ecosystem. It will ensure financial transactions are more secure, efficient, and transparent with the benefit of cost reduction, and requirement for intermediaries.
Micropayments and micro financial services
Fiat money (dollars, euros, and rupees) in very low values can be paid through second-level networks running on top of existing cryptocurrencies. As the network scales, if these low fees can be maintained, it would be possible to successfully complete micropayments between complete strangers in the near future, in real-time. This is exactly what happens with cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and stablecoins that have gained popularity for facilitating fast, low-cost, and secure digital payments and cross-border remittances.
Another scope of this will be that micropayments and smart contracts would create a stage for a lot of micro-financial services such as micro-lending, insurance, and savings. Considerably, smart contracts will automate and enforce the terms and conditions of a financial agreement, such as loans, insurance policies, and derivatives, without the need for middlemen. This drastically reduces the risk of fraud and reduces transaction costs.
Blockchain offers utmost transparency, which is why there will be no need for brokers or custodians to complete exchanges. Blockchains are fully capable of settling securities on a delivery versus payment basis, and corporate actions (dividends and stock splits) are handled by smart contracts.
Customized investment management
Investors have always participated in asset markets with a fixed set of investment options. They had to resort to alternatives if they wanted exposure to customized indices or non-standard investment returns. In some regions, like Europe, structured products provide more complex investment options. However, these products require a larger issuance size, making them inaccessible to many smaller investors. Through the use of blockchain technology and smart contracts, issuance size could be potentially lowered, making these customized investment products more accessible. It could be made accessible for investments as small as a thousand dollars or less.
Data repositories and registries
Blockchain technology is apt to offer solutions to problems that arise in financial infrastructure. Modern financial infrastructure relies on various data registries and repositories to verify data essential for different financial transactions. These include loan registries, trade repositories, and credit bureaus, which are employed with functions like providing credit and assessing financial system risk. The risks that come from these entities are duplication, lack of accountability, privacy concerns, and high costs, all of which can be solved through the use of blockchain technology. Replication of data across a large number of nodes running on completely different computer networks and the cryptographic integrity checks are how blockchain can provide a strong defense against the loopholes in old-school financial infrastructure.
Future of blockchain in finance
The emerging technology of blockchain in finance is expected to bring massive benefits to consumers, to the current banking system, and to the whole of society in general. It is expected to play a humongous role in the financial sector, offering solutions to longstanding challenges all the while creating space for new opportunities for innovation.
Having understood that there is a bright future for blockchain in finance, TNC IT Solutions — the top blockchain development company — will ensure the successful adoption of blockchain technology to your financial solutions.
We have assembled a proficient team of blockchain developers capable of delivering tailor-made solutions to your specific needs while delivering exceptional efficiency and security. We specialize in blockchain software development services that garner the expertise to harness the advantages of this tech.